A website is an important investment for a business. Safeguard your investment by making sure needed CMS updates are performed. Read on to learn what a CMS is, why it needs to be updated and the benefits of utilizing a professional to do these updates.
What is a CMS (Content Management System)?
A Content Management System (CMS) is a platform on which a website is built. They make it easier to add, edit and manage content on the website without the knowledge of programming languages. The most popular content management systems are:
Content management systems use plugins/widgets to add additional functionality to a website. Examples of these are:
- Much more!
Why Does a CMS need to be Updated?
Content Management Systems are open source software. The developers of the CMS and plugins/widgets will continually release updates related to security, new features and reported bugs.
These updates help to improve functionality and keep the security of your website up to date.
The Danger of Not Updating A CMS
Not updating a CMS can lead to:
- Security risks
- Compromised websites
- Potential loss of data and or sensitive information
- Having to rebuild a website (due to a compromise that was too severe to recover the site)
- Functionality on the website breaking
Updating a CMS regularly will help to avoid these potential issues.
Benefits of Having a Professional Update A CMS
A professional can help to mitigate the following challenges:
- It is best practice to back up the website before making an update to the CMS
- Troubleshooting issues that may arise
- Staff not having the time or training to perform CMS updates
If you would like to discuss Tidal Media Group helping with CMS updates to your website, please contact us.